Thursday, February 4, 2010

Advertisements kills the credibility & main functionality

"Advertisements kills the credibility & main functionality"
I was just searching for a new car deals. Just logged into Carwale.com. I saw a new XYLO flash advertisement on the interface and tried to close it. Unfortunately the close button is not working and could not able to close it. The main functionality & heart of this portal is in the search functionality but this is hidden under this advertisement. Tried several ways to do my task but literally failed and got frustrated. Is this a bug created by the advertiser? QA of CarWale did not fix this? Who will provide these advertisements? In most cases advertisements kills and diverts the user from the main content / task.

We know that advertisements are the most revenue generating sources, but it is very much important that there should be a good balance between the usability / content and the sites actual purpose.  let me share you the funniest thing. When i was struggling with this and called up my friend "Rajendra" who is basically a QA professional. He just played with this interaction for couple of minutes and told me that this is a bug and more over gave me a workaround that click on the home page tab for couple of times and try clicking close button until it goes away :)  QA know this... but what about the normal User? .... Interesting!

1 comment:

Dhruv Chopra said...

Hi, good post on an important point. How long will web publishers continue to subvert their own content and business objectives to advertisers' demands?

I would like to point out that web alone is not victim - look at product placements in movies and television soaps. One of the recent bond films was actually a shameless 2 hour long commercial on several brands (cars, phones, lifestyle brands).

By the way, I think carwale has fixed the problem as I do not see it on their site any longer.

my photostream

ranZeethT - View my flickr photo stream